We loved the combination of tartness from the craisins and sweetness of the raisins. I plan to cut the sugar to 1/3 cup next time.
This will definitely be my go to raisin pie recipe from now on.
How to Make Raisin Pie
- Preheat oven to 425. Put a baking sheet in the oven to heat while making the pie filling. DON'T SKIP THIS STEP. By placing the pie pan onto the heated baking sheet you will get a crispy bottom crust that will not become soggy.
- You will need 2 pie crusts, store bought of make your own. Line the pie pan with the bottom crust.
- Combine raisins and water in a medium sauce pan, boil for 5 minutes. Sometimes I replace a portion of the water with rum. You can use as much or as little as you desire. Just reduce the amount of water by the same amount.
- In a small bowl blend sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and salt. Add to raisin mixture, cook, stirring until clear. This only take a minute or so.
- Remove from heat and stir in vinegar and butter. Cool slightly.
- Pour into pastry lined pan. Cover with top crust. Put pie into oven on heated baking sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown. Allow to cool before serving.