Pumpkin Chiffon Pie
just a note- to toast the pecans,all ya have to do is preheat oven to 375 degrees.Place the pecans on a baking sheet and toast for about 5-6 minutes, till golden,don't let them burn. Let em cool ,you can store them in an airtight container for about 2 weeks
- 12-ounce box of vanilla wafers
- 1/2 c
- finely chopped pecans
- 1 stick
- unsalted butter,melted
- 1 1/2 c
- 2 c
- mashed cooked pumpkin
- 3/4 c
- light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3 large
- egg yolks,reserve the whites
- 1/2 tsp
- ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch
- of nutmeg
- ground ginger
- envelope of unflavored gelatin
- 1 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
- 3 large
- egg whites
- 3/4 c
- granulated sugar
- 1 c
- heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp
- bourbon (optional)
- 1/2 lb
- toasted pecans ,garnish
How to Make Pumpkin Chiffon Pie
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a food processor,combine the vanilla wafers and chopped pecans.Process until the mixture resembles course crumbs. With the machine running,add the melted butter and process until blended.
- 2Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 10 inch Deep Dish pie pan and bake until golden,about 10 to 12 minutes
- 3In a large saucepan,combine the eggnog,pumpkin,brown sugar,egg yolks,cinnamon,nutmeg,salt,and ginger and mix well.Place the pan over medium heat and cook for 10 minutes,stirring constantly.
Remove from the heat and sprinkle the gelatin over the mixture.
Whisk until the gelatin dissolves,then stir in the vanilla extract.Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour
- 4Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer in a medium size mixing bowl until soft peaks form
(Tip-make sure there are no bits of egg yolk in the egg whites, this restricts the egg whites from peaking properly)
Gradually add 1/4 cup of the granualted sugar and continue to beat until the peaks are stiff.
Fold the egg whites into the pumpkin mixture.
Spread evenly over the pie crust and refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- 5With the electric mixer,beat the heavy cream with the remaining 1/2 cup sugar until medium peaks form.
Stir in the bourbon.if used
Spread the whipped cream evenly over the top of the pie.
Garnish with the toasted pecan halves