POM-Cranberry Angel Pie
1/4 tspcream of tartar
1 1/3 csugar, divided
1/3 cpom-cranberry juice
2 Tbsplemon juice
1(8oz) container non-dairy whipped topping, thawed
3drops red food coloring (optional)
1 cwhipping cream
1/2 tspvanilla extract
1 Tbsppowdered sugar
How to Make POM-Cranberry Angel Pie
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Grease a 9” glass pie plate (or spray with cooking spray).
- In large bowl, beat 4 egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff, but not dry. Add 1 cup sugar slowly until stiff and glossy.
- Spread meringue in pie plate, making a “well” in the center for the filling.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour. Turn off the heat and leave crust in oven for at least one hour or, preferably, overnight.
- In small, heavy saucepan, whisk together egg yolks, POM-Cranberry juice, lemon juice and 1/3 cup sugar. Heat over medium-low heat until mixture thickens and starts to bubble. Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and bring to room temperature.
- Fold whipped topping into POM mixture; add a few drops of red food coloring, if desired. Spread into pie shell and cover with plastic wrap. Chill for several hours.
- When ready to serve, whip whipping cream with vanilla and powdered sugar and spread over the top of the pie. Garnish with fresh pomegranate arils if available.