Pineapple Meringue Pie
- 1 c
- 2 Tbsp
- 1/8 tsp
- 20 oz
- can crushed pineapple, not drained
- egg, separated using yolks first...
- the egg yolks total 3
- 1 Tbsp
- lemon juice
- the egg whites total 3
- 1/4 tsp
- cream of tartar
- 6 Tbsp
- 9-inch pie shell, baked
HOT FILLING PART
SECOND PART OF FILLING
FOR THE MERINGUE
EMPTY BUT NOT FOR LONG:
How to Make Pineapple Meringue Pie
- 1Must pre-bake your pie shell, if you didn't notice this in the list of ingredients.
- 2In a LARGE saucepan, combine the Sugar, Cornstarch, & Salt into the Pineapple until blended. Bring to a boil; cook & stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- 3Gradually stir in 1 CUP OF THE HOT FILLING into the Egg Yolks (this will assure the yolk doesn't start cooking. think it is called tempering the egg yolk. as in do not add the yolks to the hot mixture but add some of the hot mixture to the egg yolks). Return ALL to the saucepan, stirring constantly. (i love my typos at times, as my hard copy I typed says SITTING CONSTANTLY instead of stirring constantly. Choice is yours, folks!
- 4Bring to a gentle boil, cook & stir, you can sit but stir please, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat & stir in the Lemon Juice. Keep warm, must mean the filling not the cook. But stay warm any way this winter.
- 5Gently reminding you, if you haven't pre-baked the pie shell, you might want to consider it now.
- 6In a mixing bowl, beat the Egg Whites & Cream of Tartar on MEDIUM SPEED until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the Sugar, 1 Tablespoon at a time on HIGH until stiff peaks form.
- 7NOTE: you could add 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract to the Meringue when making it. Maybe added almost at the end of making it.
- 8Pour HOT FILLING, yes, the keep it warm filling, into the pre-baked pie shell. Spread Meringue over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. (that will help in the meringue not shrinking going by recall).
- 9Bake at 350 degrees F. for 15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Refrigerate leftovers.