Perfect "Flaky Pie Crust"
Connie "Kiyu" Guerrero1
How to Make Perfect "Flaky Pie Crust"
- 1(Ingredients calls for a double-crust 9"x10" pie)
In a cup of very cold water, drop in pieces of shortening.
- 2In a large bowl mix flour, salt and sugar.
- 3Scatter cold butter and chilled shortening pieces over flour mixture. Cut butter and shortening into the flour mixture using pastry cutter or two forks. The mixture should resemble coarse cornmeal, with butter bits no bigger than peas.
- 4Sprinkle 6 tablespoons of ice water over flour mixture. Using the blade of a rubber spatula, press down on the dough, using a folding motion, until the dough sticks together.
- 5Add up to 2 more tablespoons of ice water if the dough will not come together.
(DO NOT OVER-KNEAD THE DOUGH)
- 6Divide the dough into 2 balls and flatten each into 4 inch wide disks. Dust the disks lightly with flour, wrap each in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or up to 2 days before rolling out.
- 7After the dough has chilled in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, you can take it out to roll. If it's too stiff, let it sit for 5min.
(PREHEAT OVEN TO 325 degrees F.)
- 8Sprinkle a little flour on a flat work surface and the top half of one of the disks of dough.
- 9Using a rolling pin, apply light pressure while rolling outwards from the center. Every once in a while you may need to use a metal spatula or a pastry scraper to gently lift under the dough to make sure it is not sticking to the rolling surface. Roll until you have a big enough piece of dough - place the pie tin or pie dish upside down on the dough and the dough should extend beyond the pan by at least 2 inches all around.
- 10EGG WASH: A lovely coating for a pie can be achieved with a simple egg wash.
(Beat 1 tbsp. heavy cream and 1 large egg. Brush the crust)
Bake for 12-15 minutes or until light golden in color.