1) red haven, can get a little juicy
2) bellair, almost perfect
3) all star, almost perfect
4) prima, skin pulverizes instead of coming off in a single sheet
I'm sure there are many varieties that I have not tried.
How to Make Peach pie
- make your crust, roll out larger bottom crust first, adjust in 10" greased pie dish. Role out top half and have ready to put on filling immediately after filling
- in a small bowl, add and mix the sugars, starch, lime juice; have ready to add to peaches.
- in a large pan, boil some water; add the whole peaches and boil for about 3 minutes, transfer to cold water. The skins should sheet off with just a rub. Cut the peach in half, north to south pole, twist the two halves to split, remove the stone. Slice the peach halves into 3/8" wedges into a separate bowl.
- when all sliced, immediately add the sugar mix, stir, and pour into shell, add the pat of butter. Immediately top with the top crust, cut the excess dough, crimp the seam, cut in vents, smear with butter and sugar or egg whites and put into oven.
When the pulp and sugar are mixed, the juice is drawn from the pulp very quickly, so mixing, loading, finishing and getting into the oven A.S.A.P is critical.
- The oven should be preheated to 450'F, when the pie goes in set a timer for 15 minutes. Then reduce heat to 350'F, cover with crust guard (Miss Andersons) and cook for 45 minutes more.
Cool and enjoy