How to Make Pastry Pie Shell Dough
- In a large bowl, mix flour & salt.
- Slice butter lengthwise. Make a quarter turn to a clean face & slice lengthwise again. Cut into pieces & add to flour.
- Work butter quickly into flour until butter resembles little pebbles. (Alternatively, you can put half the butter into a food processor with the flour & pulse until you get a pebbly mixture, then work the other half into the flour by hand. You want some large “pebbles” in the dough enough to sizzle & cook in the oven which makes nice, crispy layers. You can only get that by hand)
- Add just enough ice water to get the dough to hold together.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap & place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour to let the butter firm back up.
- The dough is now ready to be rolled or shaped into whatever you want. Bake in a 350F oven until golden, about 20-30 minutes.