Pam's Lovely Lemon Curd
This is a web image until I make my own.
How to Make Pam's Lovely Lemon Curd
- 1Add enough water to a medium saucepan to come about 1-inch up the side. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
Juice and zest the lemons. Measure citrus juice and if needed, add enough cold water to reach 1/3 cup.
- 2Meanwhile, combine egg yolks and sugar in a medium size metal bowl and whisk until smooth, about 1 minute.
Add juice and zest to egg mixture and whisk smooth.
- 3Once water reaches a simmer, reduce heat to low and place bowl on top of saucepan. (Bowl should be large enough to fit on top of saucepan without touching the water.) Whisk until thickened, approximately 8-10 minutes, or until mixture is light yellow and thickly coats the back of a spoon.
- 4Remove from heat and whisk in butter one piece at a time, letting each addition to melt before adding another.
- 5Place in a clean container and cover by laying a layer of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the curd. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks
If you want to have a lighter lemon curd, fold in whipped cream just before serving. I love it that way on top of angel food cake with sliced strawberries. Yum.
- 6OH YES, I forgot to say that if you want an absolutely smooth and perfect lemon curd, when you finish whisking in the butter, you can put it through a fine strainer just in case some of the eggs curdled while you were heating them. Not necessary taste wise, but will make it smoother.