★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 qt
- vanilla ice cream
- baked 9" pie shell
- orange butter
- 6 Tbsp
- unsalted butter melted
- 3/4 c
- zest of 2 oranges minced finely
- 1/4 tsp
- 2 Tbsp
- lemon juice, fresh
- 1/3 c
- frozen orange juice(do not add water)
- 2 tsp
- lemon zest, minced finely
- large eggs
USE YOUR FAVORITE MERINGUE RECIPE
How to Make Orange Layered Ice Cream Meringue Pie
- 1Press scoops of half of the ice cream into the cooked pie shell and smooth. Freeze til very firm.
- 2Spread half of the orange butter over the frozen ice cream , smooth and freeze til very firm.
- 3Cover the orange butter layer with the remainder of the vanilla ice cream , smooth and freeze til very firm.
- 4Cover the last layer with the rest of the orange butter , smooth and freeze til very firm.
- 5Cover pie with meringue sealing edges of crust. Place on a cutting board and bake 3 mins @ 475* til lightly browned. Freeze til very firm.
- 6Remove from freezer 5 mins. before serving. Dip cutting knife into warm water, and dry before each cut.
- 7ORANGE BUTTER:
Melt 6T butter(unsalted) and stir in everything except 3 eggs.
- 8Beat 3 eggs and add butter mixture in top of double boiler.
- 9Beat over boiling water 5 mins til thickening.
Allow to cool, stirring as needed. Chill til spreading consistency.