How to Make OLD-FASHIONED CHERRY PIE
- 1In a large bowl, mix sugar and flour. Stir in cherries. Spoon into pastry-lined pie plate. Cut butter into small pieces; sprinkle over cherries.
- 2Cover with top pastry that has slits cut in it; seal and flute. Cover edge with 2- to 3-inch strip of foil to prevent excessive browning; remove foil during last 15 minutes of baking.
- 3Bake 35 to 45 minutes in a 425 degree oven, until crust is golden brown and juice begins to bubble through slits in crust.
- 4Cool on cooling rack at least 2 hours before serving.
- 5You may substitute 6 cups of frozen unsweetened pitted red tart cherries, thawed and drained, or 3 cans (14.5 oz. ea.) pitted red tart cherries, drained, for the fresh cherries.