Old Fashioned Apple Cream Pie, Mom's
This pie was less expensive to make, especially when apples and cream were readily available on the farm. Mom also used honey in place of sugar sometimes.
Its not as sweet as many apple pies but the cream makes it rich. I think fat free half and half might work in this recipe but have not tried it.
- 4 c
- baking apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 c
- 1 tsp
- cinnamon or apple pie spice
- 1 c
- heavy cream or half and half
- 2 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- unbaked pie shell
- see note below for cinnamon sugar topping, if desired
How to Make Old Fashioned Apple Cream Pie, Mom's
- 1Mix together sugar, cinnamon, and flour. Toss apples in this mixture and then pour them into the pie shell.
Gently pour cream over all. Sprinkle with more cinnamon sugar if desired.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes until apples are done. (Different varieties of apples cook differently so check their tenderness as baking progresses.)
- 2CINNAMON SUGAR TOPPING: Optional. Mix together 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon for topping pie.