My Mom's Requested New England Pumpkin Pie
- 3/4 c
- 1/4 tsp
- 1 1 /2 tsp
- 1 1/2 tsp
- 3 Tbsp
- dark molasses-
- 1 can(s)
- 16oz size-of plain pumpkin(not pumpkin pie filling)
- 3 Tbsp
- 2 c
- unbaked,bottom only, pie crust
- fresh whipped cream for serving
- 1 pt
- whipping cream
- 1 tsp
- 3 Tbsp
- sugar...or less to taste
FRESH WHIPPED CREAM
How to Make My Mom's Requested New England Pumpkin Pie
- 1Put unbaked crust into a pie plate.Preheat oven to 425.
Lower it to 375 after 20 mins.
- 2Put pumpkin in a mixing bowl.Add to it and blend well,the sugar,salt,spices and molasses.
- 3Take 1/2c milk and whisk in the cornstarch till smooth so there are no lumps.Stir it into the pumpkin.Beat an egg and add it to the pumpkin,along with the remaining 1 1/2c milk.Stir all and then pour into the crust.
It will be filled right to the top,so transfer it to the oven carefully!
- 4Bake for 55-60 min's,until the center does not "shimmy or jiggle"...and is set.
Sometimes I lower the oven to 350 if it is not set,but the crust seems to be getting too browned-I've even thrown a piece of aluminum foil loosely atop,if need be.But this is only toward the end of the baking time...maybe the last 10 mins.Watch and see.
When done,put on a rack to cool.
- 5Whipping Cream-About an hour before you are serving the pie,beat the whipping cream and vanilla(cold beaters helps!)stirring all often,including the side bowl scrapings...and until peaks form.It happens quick.Slowly fold in the sugar last when it is done.It can turn to butter quickly once it is ready,or if overbeaten,so be careful.But it's heavenly!My family,even adults(!!)still race to licks these beaters!!
- 6Please enjoy in the company of family and friends!!