Alternately, you can make spanakopita triangles by cutting phyllo into 2" strips, putting a spoonfull of the spinach mixture at one end and then folding the phyllo like a flag.
I wouldn't recommend the "alternate ending" to anyone working with phyllo for the first time. Practice definitely makes perfect.
3 pkgfrozen, chopped spinach
1/2-3/4 lbcrumbled feta cheese
8 ozricotta cheese
8 ozcottage cheese, small curd
6finely chopped scallions and greens
1 pkgphyllo dough
4eggs mixed together
1 cmelted butter (for brushing purposes)
How to Make Mom's Spanakopita
- Drain water from spinach
- Mix cheeses with spinach
- Add scallions & eggs (mix together)
- Place 9 sheets of phyllo dough on the bottom of a large baking pan. (I've always used a 9"x13" glass baking dish. Alternate one sheet of dough, one brushed layer of butter, so on and so forth until 9 sheets are in the pan.
- Add spinach mixture.
- Top the layer of spinach with 7 phyllo sheets. Again, alternate with phyllo, then butter, then phyllo etc. Top layer should be buttered.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Cut with hot, sharp, clean knife in squares or cut at an angle for diamond shapes.