Alternately, you can make spanakopita triangles by cutting phyllo into 2" strips, putting a spoonfull of the spinach mixture at one end and then folding the phyllo like a flag.
I wouldn't recommend the "alternate ending" to anyone working with phyllo for the first time. Practice definitely makes perfect.
- 3 pkg
- frozen, chopped spinach
- 1/2-3/4 lb
- crumbled feta cheese
- 8 oz
- ricotta cheese
- 8 oz
- cottage cheese, small curd
- finely chopped scallions and greens
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 pkg
- phyllo dough
- eggs mixed together
- 1 c
- melted butter (for brushing purposes)
How to Make Mom's Spanakopita
- 1Drain water from spinach
- 2Mix cheeses with spinach
- 3Add scallions & eggs (mix together)
- 4Place 9 sheets of phyllo dough on the bottom of a large baking pan. (I've always used a 9"x13" glass baking dish. Alternate one sheet of dough, one brushed layer of butter, so on and so forth until 9 sheets are in the pan.
- 5Add spinach mixture.
- 6Top the layer of spinach with 7 phyllo sheets. Again, alternate with phyllo, then butter, then phyllo etc. Top layer should be buttered.
- 7Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees.
- 8Cut with hot, sharp, clean knife in squares or cut at an angle for diamond shapes.