Mom's "Modern" Mincemeat
Ruth Ann Vokac
One of my fond memories comes from the day another Home Extension member came to my house in the 70's and we spent the day making this recipe in a huge quantity to share.
I haven't made mincemeat since my dad's death in 1989, but I would enjoy tasting it again.
- 2 c
- braised beef roast, very finely minced
- 3/4 c
- beef broth (use broth from braising the beef.)
- 3 c
- apples, peeled and finely diced.
- 1 c
- 3/4 c
- brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 c
- white sugar
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- ground cloves
- 1 Tbsp
- orange zest
- 2 Tbsp
- apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp
- sweetened lemonade mix
- 1 c
- orange juice
- 1 tsp
- gelatin, unflavored dissolved in 2 tablespoon of water
How to Make Mom's "Modern" Mincemeat
- 1To braise the beef: Put a beef roast in a Dutch oven with a quart of water, cover, and roast at 350 degrees for 3 hours. Cool, trim fat, and mince enough beef for 2 cups.
(Plan it have enough braised beef left over for dinner!)
- 2Add the prepared beef and all the other ingredients to a large pot.
- 3Bring to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4Allow to cool and refrigerate.
- 5Note: Substitute 2 Tablespoons frozen lemonade concentrate or juice of 1/2 lemon and 2 teaspoons of sugar for the powdered lemonade mix.
- 6Use the mincemeat to make two-crust pies.
It can be frozen and used as desired.
Remember to refrigerate the final product: it has meat in it!
- 7Use 4 cups mincemeat to make a 9" pie. Bake at 425 degrees or until pastry is golden. Cool partially on a wire rack before serving.