Mom's Apple Pie
- tart apples (granny smith, fuji work well)
- 1 c
- granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- 2-3 tsp
- cinnamon (i like more)
- dash of salt
- pastry for a two-crust pie
- 2 Tbsp
- butter (oleo margarine works fine)
- 1/4 c
- sugar to sprinkle on top of pie crust
WHEN ASSEMBLING THE PIE, USE:
How to Make Mom's Apple Pie
- 1Core and peel apples; slice into bowl.
- 2Add sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Stir gently until all ingredients are mixed together.
- 3Roll pastry for bottom crust and place in pie pan. (I use Pyrex glass pie pans.) Open an egg into pastry and use yolk to roll whites around the crust. When the crust is coated, tip egg yolk out of pie crust; discard.
- 4Stir apple filling gently again; it should be juicy at this point. Pour apple filling into prepared crust, arranging apples to lie flat and mounded in the center. Cut 2 T. butter onto pie filling (8-9 pieces).
- 5Roll out top crust and place over pie filling. Pinch edges together and cut decorative air vents into top of pie. Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- 6Bake at 400 degrees for approximately 50 minutes; top will be golden brown.