Moms Apple Pie (Makes 2)
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 pkgcook and serve tapioca pudding (3 oz.)
1 Tbspcornstarch (heaping)
1 Tbspflour (heaping)
1 Tbspcinnamon (level)
1 tspcinnamon (level)
4thawed deep dish pie crusts
How to Make Moms Apple Pie (Makes 2)
- Peel, core and slice apples.
Pieces should be nickel to quarter size, no thicker then 1/4 inch.
- In a bowl mix, dry pudding mix, cornstarch, flour, cinnamon and 3/8 cup sugar.
- Pour dry mix over apples and mix until evenly distributed.
- Divide apples and fill shells. Mound up so apples are 2-3 inches above rim of pan.
(Depending on the apple size you may have some left over)
- Put 2 teaspoons butter on top of apples in three or four pieces.
- Loosen the remaining crusts and invert pans on top of the pies. Work slowly so you don't tear the crust. Flute edges with fingers. (If you want to decorate as shown, use the crust you cut off after you flute edges. Since I usually make these in the fall I put acorns, pumpkins, grape vines and leaves on them.)(See Picture.)
- Cut 3-4 slits in crust. (1 inch each)
- Mix the egg white and the two tablespoons of water. Brush entire crust with egg white mixture.
- Sprinkle each crust with 1 Tablespoon of sugar.