Momma Kay's Flaky Pie Crust
★★★★★ 1 vote5
4 cplain flour
1 tspbaking powder
1 3/4 ccrisco brand shortening (minus about 1 tsp, then add back an equal amount of water to the 1/2 c. water below)
1 Tbspwhite vinegar
How to Make Momma Kay's Flaky Pie Crust
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder and sugar together, cut in cold crisco until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add egg, 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon of water and vinegar. mix together until ingredients are moistened and dough forms a ball.
- Separate into four portions.Wrap with plastic wrap and chill at least one hour.
- Turn dough ball out onto a floured surface and roll into a circle about one inch larger than pie plate.
- For recipes requiring pre-cooked crust, cut slits in the bottom of the crust and place in a pre-heated oven at 350 degrees. Bake about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Use pie weights if desired. For uncooked crust, add filling of choice and bake as directed for filling.
- For fried pies: reduce shortening to 1/1/4 cups and add an extra 1/2 cup water.