MILE HIGH LEMON MERINGUE PIE
1baked 9in deep dish pie shell or homemade crust
9large eggs, separated
2 csugar separated
1 clemon juice concentrate or fresh
4 Tbspbutter cut in small cubes
How to Make MILE HIGH LEMON MERINGUE PIE
- Bake the crust according to package.
- In a large bowl, beat 9 egg yokes until blended. Put the whites in a separate large bowl. DO NOT refrigerate the whites they need to be room temperature.
- In another bowl, whisk together 1 1/2 cups of the sugar and the cornstarch, then whisk in the beaten eggs, the lemon juice and salt.
- Transfer to a heavy saucepan, place over medium heat and heat until the mixture comes to a full boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to low and let bubble for 15 seconds. Be careful not to overcook the filling or it will separate. Remove from heat and whisk in the butter.
- pour into the baked crust
- Using a mixer on high speed, beat the reserved egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Beat in the remaining sugar, beating until the egg whites become a meringue with stiff, shiny peaks.
- Using a spatula, spread the meringue evenly over the hot filling, making sure the meringue touches the crust on all sides this will help to stop shrinkage. Swirl the meringue to form peaks
- Bake until the meringue is browned,or to your liking about 5 minutes. Transfer to a rack and cool completely before serving, at least 4 hours. Serves 8.