Maple Pumpkin Crumb Pie - Yummy!
- 1 3/4 c
- cooked pumpkin (well drained if boiled)
- 1 c
- heavy whipping cream
- 1 c
- granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- pumpkin pie spice or 1/4 each of nutmeg and cinnamon
- 1 tsp
- maple extract
- 1/2 c
- chopped pecans
- 1/4 c
- brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil
- mix the crumb topping ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside for later
- 2 1/4 c
- flour (i used pastry flour)
- 3/4 tsp
- 1/2 c
- very very cold shortening or lard (i used lard)
- 2 Tbsp
- very very cold butter or margarine
- 6-8 Tbsp
- very cold water
PUMPKIN PIE INGREDIENTS
PIE PASTRY - KITCHENAID RECIPE
How to Make Maple Pumpkin Crumb Pie - Yummy!
- 1Pie Instructions: Pour all ingredients into a blender and mix well. You can use a large bowl also if you don't have a blender.
- 2Pour into a pastry lined pie pan. Can use either an 8 inch or a 9 inch.
- 3Cover edges of pastry with foil and bake at 425° for about 25 minutes. Then check to see if it is set enough to put the crumb topping on. If you put it on too soon the crumbs will sink to the bottom. Continue baking until center of pie is set. You want to remove the foil about 15 minutes before end of baking time.
- 4Note: Most pumpkin pies you can test the center by placing a butter knife into the center and if it comes out clean it is done. However because of the crumb topping that doesn't work very well. You can try it but it will not come out completely clean. Just a little residue will be on it and that is fine. Also the baking times can vary from oven to oven and if you have one like mine you the time might be a little longer. It took me about 50 minutes to bake my pie.
- 5Another Note on the pumpkin: I use fresh pumpkin that was roasted and frozen in individual packages. A 15 oz of canned pumpkin is equal to 1 3/4 cups of the cooked pumpkin. If you boil your pumpkin make sure you squeeze all the moisture out of it. Also if using the canned pumpkin for this recipe you might be able to add the crumbs sooner. You be the judge.
- 6Pie Pastry Instructions: Place the flour and salt in your stand up mixer. Use the flat beater to mix. Turn to Stir Speed and mix about 15 seconds.
Cut shortening and butter into pieces and add to flour mixture. Turn to Stir and mix until shortening particles are size of small peas, 30 to 45 seconds. Continue on Stir Speed, add water one tablespoon at a time until ingredients are moistened and dough begins to hold together. Divide in half and pat each half into a small ball and flatten slightly. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for 15 minutes. Roll dough out on a pastry board, fold in half and place in pie pan. Fold edges and crimb as desired.