Mama's coconut pies
6 mediumor large eggs (divided) saving whites for topping
1 can(s)evaporated milk
1 tspvanilla extract
2 cfresh or bagged coconut plus a handful for topping
How to Make Mama's coconut pies
- This recipe makes two pies. you can either make home made pie crust or you can use store bought. When taking to a church function or a funeral or family gathering I use the store bought crust. It is only when I am having company at my home will I make homemade pie crust. Bake your pie crust ahead of time. (guess you could call me lazy)
- in a heavy medium sauce pan stir together the sugar, flour, until combined (or if you chose, you can stiff the sugar and flour together, works both ways)
- add the 6 egg yolks, stir just to break the yolks then add the 1 can of evaporated milk, and 1 can of water and stir well.
- Bring this to a boil over medium high heat, until thickened. Stirring constantly, turn off heat, add coconut and vanilla then pour into baked pie shells.
- to make topping whip egg whites until stiff peaks are formed, add 2 tablespoons of sugar, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
- divide the topping for both pies making sure the topping closes over the edge of the pie crust. Bake in preheated oven of 350* for about 10 to 15 mins.