Libby B's Brandied Apple Pie
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1/2 stick
- 2 Tbsp
- 8 medium
- apples - cored, sliced and peeled
- 2/3 c
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- 1/8 tsp
- 1 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp
- 2 Tbsp
- egg yolk
- rolled out pie crusts
How to Make Libby B's Brandied Apple Pie
- 1Slice, peel and core the apples. In a small bowl, whisk the rum and vanilla into the melted butter. In a large bowl, toss the slices with the brandy/butter/vanilla mixture.
- 2In a separate large bowl, whisk together the sugar, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and flour.
- 3Add the tossed apple slices to the flour/sugar/spice mix and toss to coat well.
- 4While your oven is preheating to 400 degrees, lay your bottom pie crust in a pie dish (I prefer glass) Pour, heap the apples onto the bottom crust- making sure that you have a higher mound in the middle.
- 5Top the pie with the upper crust, crimp edges and make 4-5 inch long slits in the crust so the steam can escape. I will either do a slit at each 15 min point of the clock face (so noon, 3, 6 and 9 oclock) or if the apple mound is particularly high, I will do 5 slits in a starfish placement.
- 6In a small bowl, whisk 1 egg yolk with the 2 tbsps. of milk - brush the crust with this mixture.
- 7Bake at 400 degrees for 20 mins, then lower temp to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 40 mins. Leave the pie in the over when the bake time is done, until the oven cools. Enjoy!