Lemon Cloud Pie in a Coconut Crust
- 2 c
- shredded or flaked coconut
- 1/4 c
- melted butter
- 3/4 c
- granulated white sugar
- 3 Tbsp
- 1 c
- 1 tsp
- grated lemon peel
- 1/4 - 1/3 c
- lemon juice (this is the amount of 1 squeezed lemon)
- egg yolks (reserve whites)
- 3 oz
- cream cheese (1 small pkg.)
- egg whites ( that were reserved)
- 1/4 c
How to Make Lemon Cloud Pie in a Coconut Crust
- 1For the crust: combine coconut and melted butter and pat into a 9" pie pan on bottom & sides of pan. Bake at 375 degrees until golden brown. Cool.
- 2In saucepan, combine 3/4 c. sugar, cornstarch, water, lemon peel, lemon juice and slightly beaten egg yolks. Beat with rotary beater until well blended.
- 3Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture just begins to bubble. Remove from heat. Add cream cheese; stir until well combined. Cool while preparing meringue.
- 4In small mixer bowl, beat reserved egg whites at high speed until foamy. Gradually add 1/4 c. sugar, beating until meringue holds stiff peaks.
- 5Fold into lemon mixture. Spoon into prepared crust. At this point, garnish with a small amount of toasted coconut. Refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours before serving