Laurie's Apple Pie in the Sky
I use Granny Smith apples as they always hold up very well for baking. If using a sweeter apple, decrease the amount of sugar by 1/8 of a cup. The Granny Smith apples are tart so the two sugars add a nice flavor that allows the taste of the apple to shine through, nicely.
I call it Apple Pie in the Sky because my family is always over the moon when I bake this dessert.
- peeled and sliced granny smith apples
- 1/4 c
- packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 c
- white granulated sugar
- 2 tsp
- bottled apple pie spice
- 2 Tbsp
- cold butter cut into small pieces
- 2 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 pkg
- all ready pie crust for a double crusted pie. you may use any pie crusts that you make or buy. pie crust isn't my thing so i use the store bought crusts that you unroll.
How to Make Laurie's Apple Pie in the Sky
- 1Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Place the oven rack in the center position. Prepare a baking sheet with aluminum foil to prevent oven spills.
- 2Unroll and place the bottom pie crust in a 10" deep dish pie plate.
- 3Peel, core and thinly slice the apples in a large bowl. Add in the sugars, spice and flour. Toss well to evenly coat.
- 4Pour the apples into the prepared crust in the pie pan. Dot the top of the apple mixture with the butter.
- 5Place the top crust over the apples. Dampen the bottom edge of the top crust with a little water. Tuck the top edge under the bottom pastry edge and press to seal. You may flute the edge all around with a decorative pattern or a dinner fork.
- 6Brush the top crust with milk using your fingers or a pastry brush. Cut a few steam vents in the top crust with a sharp knife in some all over pattern or random fashion.
- 7Place the pie on the foil lined cookie sheet and place into 450 degree oven for 15 minutes. Place some foil over the edges of the crust to prevent over-browning. Lower oven to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 50-60 minutes until the apples are bubbling and the crust is nicely browned.
NOTE: Remove the foil from the edges of the crust 10 minutes before the pie is done to get a nice even color.
- 8Allow the pie to cool and serve with whipped cream or ice cream. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.