Key Lime Pie /Guaranteed to cure scurvy..well, not really, but it's fun to say.
C. Lipori (organic cook)
The recipe can be adjusted to levels of tartness for your liking. I prefer it tart so I use 1 cup of juice.
I always try to use all organic ingredients. It is very difficult to find organic key lime juice. You can find organic key limes and squeeze them yourself. DON"T be fooled by green key lime pies! Key lime juice is yellowish NOT bright green!
Also, every kitchen should have a cream whipper! They are the easiest way to make healthy homemade whipped cream with no hydrogenated oils! I use agave syrup because it doesn't clog the whipper. You could substitute a corn syrup but they are usually GMO's unless you buy organic and I won't use GMO's in my recipes. I will NEVER use cool whip in a recipe, have you looked at the ingredients of that stuff?
I want to note there are different types of key lime juice out there, I would look for the kind that is pure lime juice. Also, regular lime juice IS NOT the same, I would never substitute. Most larger supermarkets carry the juice but if all else fails find it online. I usually use Nellie and Joe's brand. keylimejuice.com
I swear they used to have just pure juice in it but now I noticed they add some lime oil to it. It still taste's good though.
Look at the label of your condensed milk. Some brands add extras to the mix, it should be pure milk and sugar and nothing else!
Just one last note, I wouldn't call this a "quick and easy" pie since it has to cool in the fridge, but I didn't see any other choice to click on. It is easy to make though.
- 1 1/4 c
- graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 c
- 1/3 c
- butter melted
- 1 can(s)
- sweetened condensed milk
- egg yolks
- 3/4 c
- key lime juice ( i prefer 1 cup)
- 1-2 pt
- heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp
- 2-3 Tbsp
- light agave syrup
- slices of lime
- 8-9 inch pie pan
- cream whipper or mixer
- also, if you are pressed for time you can always use a ready-made crust.
- if you want to make individual pies you can use tart pans or purchase the small pie tart crusts instead. usually 2 packages will suffice.
How to Make Key Lime Pie /Guaranteed to cure scurvy..well, not really, but it's fun to say.
- 1Preheat oven to 350º. Mix crumbs , sugar, and butter throughly. Using back of spoon, press firmly onto sides and bottoms of pie pan. Bake in preheated oven for about 10 minutes. Let cool.
- 2In large bowl, add can of condensed milk, egg yolks, and Key lime juice. Mix with whisk thoroughly. Let sit a minute so any bubbles from whisking may rise to top.
- 3Pour into pie shell and bake in 400º oven for ten minutes. (You may want to cover edges of shell so it doesn't burn) Take out, cool and put into fridge until cool.
- 4In cream whipper pour whipping cream, vanilla, and agave syrup. Mix up. If you do not have a cream whipper(why not??!) you can whip your own cream in a mixer. I usually put my bowls & beaters in the freezer if I am going to whip up cold stuff.
- 5Serve pie with garnish and whipping cream. Enjoy!