- 10 egg yolks
- 3 cups of sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of butter, melted
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 5 unbaked pie shells.
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed tightly
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
How to Make Kentucky Stack Pie
- 1Beat eggs until light.
- 2Add sugar and beat again until light.
- 3Add butter and cream.
- 4Pour one cup of filling into pie shells.(some people cut the crimped edges off)
- 5Bake at 350 degrees until filling is done, about 25-30 minutes or when filling bubbles slightly and turns lightly brown. A toothpick should come out clean.(A broom straw was used originally).
- 6Allow pies to cool, then run a spatula around the bottom of the pies and stack them one on top of the other. Ice with carmel frosting on on sides and top.
- 7ICING DIRECTIONS. Mix all ingredients together in a saucepan. Bring to a boil stirring constantly. Cook for two minutes.Cool to lukewarm. Add powdered sugar until thick enough to spread.If it get too thick add a little more milk.