Kelly's Rich and Creamy Key Lime Pie
(Old photo by me. I no longer add food coloring and leave the pie natural-colored.)
- egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 (14 oz.)
- cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1 c
- key lime juice, i use nellie and joe's in the bottle
- graham cracker crust, i make my own but you can sub a keebler 10" one for ease if prefered
- cool whip, ready whip or sweetened whipped cream
- maraschino cherries, or sliced strawberries and/or kiwi slices for garnish, optional
How to Make Kelly's Rich and Creamy Key Lime Pie
- 1Preheat oven to 325º. In medium bowl, gently whisk egg yolks. Slowly whisk in sweetened condensed milk.
Slowly whisk in key lime juice. *Do not over mix, this will create bubbles. Just whisk and stir gently til all ingredients are mixed together well.
Pour into 9" deep dish homemade graham cracker crust. Pop into oven for 40-45 minutes. *My oven takes 44 minutes exactly. The edge of pie will just START to slightly poof up and the edge of pie will also be very SLIGHTLY a pale golden brown. Just very lightly browned. The pie also will no longer jiggle.
Let cool. Pie will set up perfectly as it cools.
Refrigerate at least 4-6 hours or overnight. Pie gets even better the next day! :)Serve with whipped cream topping. Garnish if desired. VERY rich and creamy!
*You can save the egg whites and make a meringue top if preffered. But we like the cool, smooth creaminess of sweetened whipped cream much better than meringue. ;)
**If preferred, you can also bake this pie in a 9" deep dish pastry crust.
***If a green color is desired, just add 2 drops green food coloring. I used to do this, but now I just leave it natural colored.
I once used fresh key limes and will never do that again. It took forever and you honestly couldn't even tell the difference from the bottled juice.