JOY OF COOKING PUMPKIN PIE
1 boxpillsbury refrigerated pie crusts
2 cpumpkin, canned or cooked
1 1/2 cmilk, evaporated or cream
1/4 cbrown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cwhite sugar
1/4 tspnutmeg, grated or allspice
1/8 tspclove, ground
2eggs, slightly beaten
How to Make JOY OF COOKING PUMPKIN PIE
- If planning on using fresh pumpkin puree, prepare the night before. Slice pie pumpkins in half, leaving seeds in. Place cut side down on foil lined baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees until pierces easily with a fork, approximately 60-90 minutes.
- Once tender, remove and let cool. Remove the seeds and strings, then scoop out the pumpkin pulp and place into a large colander resting in a large bowl to catch the liquid. Cover and place in refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, remove the pumpkin from the fridge and allow to warm to room temperature for a couple of hours. Place the pumpkin pulp into a food processor (in two, 2 cup batches if making a double recipe) and process until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line large pie pan with two crusts that have been rolled out together to fit the pie pan, crimp the edges. Pour pumpkin pie mixture into the pie crust.
- Remove the pie from the oven and allow to cool on a rack; store in the refrigerator when cool.
- NOTES: Makes one, 9-inch Single-Crust Pie. I always double this recipe and make two large pumpkin pies. I like to make my own pumpkin puree and I also grate my own nutmeg and make sure to get the best cinnamon and ginger I can get my hands on.