Joy Choy Pie- My Version
This is my version based on the recipe my Mom used. I added the chocolate. :)
It may not be authentic Chinese, but I think it is GOOD!
Picture is clip art.
- 1/2 c
- finely crushed chow mein noodles
- 1 c
- chopped pecans
- 3 large
- egg whites
- 1/4 tsp
- cream of tartar
- 1 c
- 1 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp
- lemon extract
- 1 pt
- fresh strawberries, cleaned and sliced in to bite sized pieces
- 1 small
- container whipped topping (cool whip)
- 1 small
- package mini chocolate chips
How to Make Joy Choy Pie- My Version
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 9 inch pie pan.
To Make Meringue Pie Shell:
Crush chow mein noodles very fine to make 1/2 cup. Mix crushed noodles and chopped pecans together and set aside.
Beat together egg whites and cream of tartar until whites are stiff. Add sugar, 1 tablespoonful at a time; beat well after each addition. Add vanilla and lemon extracts; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold in crushed noodles and choped nuts.
- 2Spoon and arrange meringue in buttered 9 inch pie plate, spreading around sides and on bottom to leave center "hollow or depression" for filling with the strawberries after baking. Bake in a 325 oven for 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- 3To Complete Pie:
Sprinkle half of chocolate chips on bottom of meringue.
Fill center with partially strawberries. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on top of strawberries. Top with sweetened whipped cream.
If desired garnish with coarsely crushed chow mein noodles or chocolate chips sprinkled on top.