Homemade Caramel Pecan Apple Pie
If you don't have a hand chopper handy to chop the pecans/walnuts you can take a sandwich bag, measure out 1/2 cup of pecan halves, pour into sandwich bag. Then seal bag with pecans inside making sure to push out any extra air from inside the bag when sealing/zipping shut. Then take meat mallet, small hammer, or heavy duty/hard plastic cup bottom and use it to pound the pecan halves into coarsely "chopped" pieces.
Or you can take a knife and chop them in the traditional fashion. It takes a little longer and is a bit messier but does work just as well :)
★★★★★ 1 vote5
4 to 5 mediumgranny smith apples cored and sliced *other similar baking type apple can be used
1 pkgkraft caramel squares (1 - 16 ounce bag)
1/2 Tbspground cinnamon
1/2 cgranulated sugar
1/2 cpecans, coarsely chopped (can add or substitute with walnuts, raisins, cranberries, or other favorite)
2 Tbspmilk, whole (can substitute low-fat, 1% or 2%)
MILK WASH FOR TOP PIE CRUST
1/2 can(s)milk, whole (can subsitute low-fat, 1% or 2%)
2 Tbspgranulated sugar
How to Make Homemade Caramel Pecan Apple Pie
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Make Pie Crust Dough at least 6 hours ahead of when you plan to bake your pies. Make Sure To Have Your Crusts Rolled Out and ready before making this filling.
- Core and peel Apples. Then cut apples into 1/8 inch thick slices into large bowl.
You can add 1 teaspoon lemon juice to apples mix well, tightly cover with plastic wrap, and put in refrigerator until ready to help keep the apples from turning brown.
- 4 Quart Sauce Pan add the Caramel pieces and 1/4 Cup milk and heat on medium - low heat until caramel is completely melted, stirring frequently.
- Take apple slices out of refrigerator. Mix Cinnamon and Granulated Sugar Together. Then Sprinkle over apples in bowl then add 2 tablespoons milk and mix until apples are evenly coated.
- Add Cinnamon and Sugar coated apples along with the 1/2 cup pecans to melted caramel mixture in 4 quart sauce pan and stir until completely coated and sugar is melted, about 5 minutes. Stirring constantly.
- Removed from heat and then pour into prepared crusts in 9 inch pie pan(s). Making sure to have enough pie crust dough rolled out, vents added, and ready to place as top crust.
- Then trim excess dough away from edges of pie pan. Then fold and flute edges.
MILK WASH FOR PIE CRUST (TOP)
1) Measure out 1/2 Cup milk and add 1 tablespoon granulated sugar to milk.
2) Using Pastry/Basting Brush, Dip pastry brush in Sugar Milk mixture and lightly coat top crust of pie.
** You can take 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar and sprinkle it over the pie crust after brushing milk on crust.
- wrap large cookie sheet in foil to place pies on as a way to catch any liquid overflow drippings from falling into the bottom of the oven.
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown.