Home Canned Apple Pie Filling
- bushel of apples (3 varieties see note below)
- 3 c
- granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 c
- clear-jeal or corn starch
- 1 Tbsp
- 1/4 tsp
- each of cloves, ginger and allspice
- 2 1/2 c
- cold water
- 5 c
- apple juice (100% and unsweetened)
- 3/4 c
- 100% lemon juice
How to Make Home Canned Apple Pie Filling
- 1Note on apples: Choose apples that are naturallyh sweet and tart varieties as in Jonagold, Rome, Jonathon, Winesap, Red Delicious. If you can select 3 varieties of these apples.
- 2Wash, peel, core and slice your apples between 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices. Next blanch them in a large pot with at least 1 gallon of boiling water boil about one minute after they return to a boil. Drain and keep the hot fruit in a covered bowl or pot.
- 3Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a large pot wih the apple juice and water.
- 4Heat the liquid stirring almost constantly while cooking on medium high until it begins to bubble. Mix the ClearJel or corn starch with the lemon juice and add this to the juice in the pot. Boil 1 minute stirring constantly until it starts to thicken. Then remove from heat. At this point it should be pretty thick but still able to drip.
- 5Now fill your steralized warm jars by alternating layers of the liquid and apple slices and then repeat until the jar is full to 1 inch below the top.
- 6Use a spoon, butter knife, or your fingers to press down to fill in any of the air spaces with liquid to help them settle in the jar and reduce the amount of air space. Pack the jars tightly with apples because if you don't the apples will float and the bottom of the jar with be all syrup. Wipe off the rims.
- 7Put your prepared lids on and process them in a hot water bath for 25 minutes. Once the jars are done pull them out and let them cool in a draft free place on 2 layers of towels. Dont' let the jars bump each other.
- 8Additional Note: If you don't want to use the apple juice then just substitute with additional water.