Ham, Potato, Cheese Empanadas !
I froze most of them, only cooked 6 of them... and they were gone fast!
Instead of buying the expensive ones at the store (pockets), we make our own and control what goes into them.
You can make these like I did with pie crust... or... pizza dough or flour tortilla dough.
The fillings can be almost anything you come up with! I have made:
Potaotoes, Kraut, and Sausage
Ham and Cheese
Cheese, Broccoli and Ham
1 pkgprerolled pie crust (or make a two crust recipe of your favorite pie crust)
1 1/2 cleft over mashed potatoes
2 1/2 cleft over ham (cut up small)
1/3 cranch dressing
1 cmozzarella cheese (shredded)
·salt and pepper to taste
5 sliceamerican cheese (torn into about 1 inch pieces)
4 - 6inches of vegetable oil
How to Make Ham, Potato, Cheese Empanadas !
- Unroll the pre rolled pie crust onto floured board. Roll out thinner to about a 10 x 14 inch rectangle.
Using a 4 inch round biscuit cutter, make 8 - 9 circles of dough from each sheet of dough. (pat dough scraps together and re-roll. Keep repeating until the dough is used up... (save any scraps to fry up).
As you make the circles and scraps, place them on a wax paper lined baking sheet.
- Chop up the ham, shred the mozzarella, and put into a bowl. Add the potatoes, ranch dressing, and spices.
- Put about 1 heaping Tablespoon of the Ham mixture in your hand and form into a small log. Place onto a circle of crust, add 1 or 2 pieces of the American cheese. Dip your finger into water and dampen the outer area of the dough circle. Gently fold over the dough circle and seal (try not to poke any holes in the dough). Place on wax paper lined baking sheet. Repeat until all are done.
- *** If you run out of filling and have more circles, you can either open up a can of pie filling, make a different filling by scrambling eggs and adding sausage and cheese. OR.. cut up the dough for frying.
- Freeze on baking sheet. When solid, put in zipper bags and return to freezer.
Or... cook them up... or both!
- Heat the oil, fry one or two at a time until light golden brown. Put on paper towel lined dish to drain oil. Serve hot!
- If cooking scraps up... Put them in oil, fry until golden brown, put on paper towels. Coat with sugar and cinnamon mixture.