Green Tomato Pie
- medium sized green tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp
- lemon juice
- 1 tsp
- fresh lemon zest (grated lemon peel)
- 3/4 c
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 Tbsp
- butter (more if you like to add under your top crust)
- uncooked pastry for a 2 crust pie
How to Make Green Tomato Pie
- 1Wash the green tomatoes well, slice thinly and cut slices into quarters. Some say to peel the tomatoes, I see no need for it, your choice.
- 2Mix the sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl, set aside. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- 3In a medium saucepan, combine the tomatoes with the lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and cinnamon. Cook the mixture over low heat, stirring frequently. When mixture seems softened (10-12 minutes), add the sugar/cornstarch mixture and continue to cook...stirring constantly. Make sure the cornstarch is dissolved in and not lumps in the mix. Add the butter, stir and remove from heat. Let stand while you prepare the pastry. Use your favorite recipe or store bought if that is what you prefer. I make my crust ahead of time and freeze the balls, then take them out as needed, defrost on the counter and roll out. I will add my pie crust recipe soon, it is the flakiest I have even seen.
- 4Line a 9 inch pie plate with the bottom pastry, pour in the tomato mixture. At this point you can dot the top with butter if you wish or just cover with the top crust. I do the butter, but that is just how I was taught. Seal the edges of the pastry together, crimp and then cut several small slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- 5Again at this point, you can put into the oven or add one extra step I always use on my pies. I moisten my fingers with milk and gently rub the top crust until its moistened, but not pools of milk on top. Then sprinkle on some sugar, 1T should be enough. This adds to the browning and also makes a more flavorful, shiny crust. Its up to you if you want to add this step.
- 6Bake for 35-45 minutes, the pie should be golden brown. This can be served hot or cold, we preferred cold with a touch of homemade whip cream.