Grandma Lucy's Apple Pie
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 1 large
- pie crust shell
- 6 c
- rome apples sliced & peeled
- 1 Tbsp
- lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp
- instant tapioca granules
- 3/4 c
- granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 tsp
- ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp
How to Make Grandma Lucy's Apple Pie
- 1mix filling ingredients (apples, tapioca, cinnamin, nutmeg, lemon juice and sugar) together in a large bowl.
- 2Filling should "marinate" for at least 30 minutes, stirring at least 4 times before baking, to give tapioca time to soften.
- 3Stir every 10 minutes.
- 4Lemon juice is essential to prevent apples from turning brown.
- 5While filling is marinating, prepare crust for 2-crust pie, or use refridgerated pie crusts.
- 6Grandma Lucy used the Crisco(r) pie crust recipe; using ice water to prepare.
- 7Roll out dough to a 10 inch circle
- 8line a 9 inch pie dish with dough; leave 1 in overhang. press gently to remove all air bubbles. DO NOT prick crust. DO NOT pre-bake.
- 9pour filling into crust, heaping slightly in the center.
- 10roll out remaining dough and cover apples
- 11flute using tines of a fork to seal the edges. Trim excess.
- 12Cut vent holes in top of pie. ( Use a small seasonal cookie cutter in the shape of an apple, or any other desired shape) .
- 13Brush top of pie with whole milk. Sprinkle with decorating sugar.
- 14Bake in 400* preheated oven.
- 15cover edges of pie with aluminum foil to prevent over-browning
- 16Cool before serving. Best served at room temperature or slightly warmed.