Grandma Lucy's Apple Pie
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 largepie crust shell
6 crome apples sliced & peeled
1 Tbsplemon juice
3 Tbspinstant tapioca granules
3/4 cgranulated sugar
1 tspground nutmeg
How to Make Grandma Lucy's Apple Pie
- mix filling ingredients (apples, tapioca, cinnamin, nutmeg, lemon juice and sugar) together in a large bowl.
- Filling should "marinate" for at least 30 minutes, stirring at least 4 times before baking, to give tapioca time to soften.
- Stir every 10 minutes.
- Lemon juice is essential to prevent apples from turning brown.
- While filling is marinating, prepare crust for 2-crust pie, or use refridgerated pie crusts.
- Grandma Lucy used the Crisco(r) pie crust recipe; using ice water to prepare.
- Roll out dough to a 10 inch circle
- line a 9 inch pie dish with dough; leave 1 in overhang. press gently to remove all air bubbles. DO NOT prick crust. DO NOT pre-bake.
- pour filling into crust, heaping slightly in the center.
- roll out remaining dough and cover apples
- flute using tines of a fork to seal the edges. Trim excess.
- Cut vent holes in top of pie. ( Use a small seasonal cookie cutter in the shape of an apple, or any other desired shape) .
- Brush top of pie with whole milk. Sprinkle with decorating sugar.
- Bake in 400* preheated oven.
- cover edges of pie with aluminum foil to prevent over-browning
- Cool before serving. Best served at room temperature or slightly warmed.