Good Neighbor Chocolate Pie
This pie is very good and very rich. However, if you like a thick filling, then double the recipe, because this filling is very thin in the 9 inch pie shell called for in the recipe.
How to Make Good Neighbor Chocolate Pie
- In med. bowl whisk together flour and sugar; set aside.
- seperate eggs, place egg yolks in small bowl. Slightly beat egg yolks; set aside.
- In double boiler, heat milk and chocolate. Mix throughly until combined. DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL.
- Add flour and sugar mixture to chocolate mixture. Beat with egg beater or wire whisk until smooth.
- Cover with lid and cook for 10 minutes on low to medium heat.
- In small bowl with slightly beaten egg yolks, add small amount of chocolate/flour mixture and mix quickly until eggs and chocolate are combined. (This is called tempering the eggs, so they do not cook or coagulate in the chocolate). Once the eggs and chocolate are combined, stir mixture quickly into the rest of the chocolate in the double boiler.
Cover with lid and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Remove double boiler from stove.
Add butter and vanilla.
Cool before adding to pie shell.
- Note: This filling does not make a thick filling for the 9 inch baked pie shell called for in this recipe. So if a thicker pie filling is desired, then double this recipe.