Furr's Cafeteria "Pineapple Millionaire Pie" (with adjustments for Diabetics to be able to eat some)
Here is another pie recipe from the cafeteria recipes..from Furr's this time.
I HAVE REVAMPED THIS RECIPE SO THAT "THOSE OF US WITH DIABETES" CAN ALSO HAVE SOME.
I ADDED A RECIPE TO MAKE 'HOMEMADE POWDERED SUGAR' FOR US WHO HAVE DIABETES CAN USE IT TO DUST ON DESSERTS OR MAKE FROSTINGS (there is also a frosting recipe at the bottom).
- 2 c
- sifted powdered sugar (*i make my own splenda powdered sugar)
- 1/4 lb
- butter, softened
- 2 large
- 1/8 tsp
- salt (i use sea salt)
- 1/4 tsp
- pure vanilla
- (9 inch) pie crusts, baked
- 1 c
- heavy cream
- 1/2 c
- sifted powdered sugar (*again you can make your own with splenda)
- 1 can(s)
- crushed pineapple, drain well
- 1/2 c
- chopped pecans
How to Make Furr's Cafeteria "Pineapple Millionaire Pie" (with adjustments for Diabetics to be able to eat some)
- 1Cream 2 cups powdered sugar and butter with electric mixer until fluffy (be SURE to do this step first).
- 2Add eggs, salt and vanilla.
Beat until light and fluffy.
- 3Spread mixture evenly into baked pie crusts, then chill.
- 4Whip heavy cream until stiff.
Blend in powdered sugar.
Then fold in pineapple and pecans.
- 5Spread mixture on top of chilled filling; and chill thoroughly before serving.
This pie is sweet and not for diabetics.
But if you make your own powdered sugar by grinding Splenda into a powder, you can eat some too.
- 7TIP For Diabetics:
*To make your homemade powdered sugar from Splenda...take 1 cup Splenda and 2 tablespoons cornstarch, using a clean coffee grinder (or a blender) place both ingredients in the cup, placeing the lid on and pulse into a powder form.
This can be used for dusting cakes, cupcakes...etc.
You can also make a frosting with it.
- 8Frosting made with Homemade Powdered Sugar:
8 ounces low-fat cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup light butter
Beat 8 oz of cream cheese with the butter.
Mix in vanilla and 1/2 cup of the home made powdered sugar (taste it as you go).