Fried apple pies with cranberries, nuts & sauce
Irisa Raina 9
I had more filling than I needed, so later that week I served it over ice cream “ heating it up a wee bit “.
These do not keep well “ they tend to get soggy “ once fried so I only make what I’ll need for that day. You can make them and freeze them, defrosting them before you fry them.
·6 large wontons
·1 – 18/20 ounce can of apple pie filling
·1 granny smith apple “peeled ”
·1 cup dried cranberries
·1 cup toasted walnuts “ chopped”
·water to seal the wontons
·oil for frying
·1 & ½ cups apple juice
·1 tablespoon light brown sugar
·1 tablespoon cinnamon
·1 tablespoon hot sauce “optional “
How to Make Fried apple pies with cranberries, nuts & sauce
- To make the pies:
Empty the pie filling into a bowl. If you see large pieces of apples mash them down slightly.
- Peel and cut the apple into tiny bite size pieces. Add to the pie filling.
- Add the cranberries and nuts and mix thoroughly.
- Lay out one wonton at a time. In the center place some of the apple filling.
- Fold into a triangle wetting the edges with some water and pressing firmly.
- When you have these all made, fry till golden on both sides and drain.
- Serve with dipping sauce. Directions below.
- You’ll want to make this before you start on the pies so it can get cold “ see note above”.
- Put all the ingredients into a pot and reduce to ½. Once it is reduced let it cool completely.
Serve along side the pies.