Fried Apple Pies
How to Make Fried Apple Pies
- You can use dried fruit or fresh apples. You use your own judgement on how many apples to cook, to how many pies you want to make.
- I peel,core,& slice my apples. Put them in a sauce pan with very little water & cook slowly. The apples will make some juice their self. If you get too much liquid you can add a little cornstarch to the sugar to thicken. DON"T ADD The sugar until the apples has cooked.
- Take off the heat and let it get cooled off. You don't want it to be warm, it will mess the dough up.
- Sometimes I make my on crust, but most of the time I just use can biscuits. I get the store brand, they work best. DON"T get the buttermilk biscuits, get the home style. The name brand usually has kosher salt, it will make little holes in the crust when you fry them. So the store works best.
- Flour you pastry sheet, put a biscuit on it and roll out as if you're make a crust.Dampen the edge of the dough so it will seal off better. Place about 1 1/2 teaspoon of filling in the middle. It really depends on how much you roll the crust. You don't want it thick or too thin to tear when you're frying them. Dampen edge with water using your finger tip.
- I use an electric skillet with peanut oil. Lay your pie in the skillet when you think the oil is hot enough. When you lay the pie in, it should start to sizzle around the edges. Fry it until golden brown, turn & fry on the other side.
- I usually have my skillet temp. around 300 degrees, but the temp can vary on different skillet, just keep a close eye, & don't burn them.