Fresh Peach Pie
Angela (Grammy) Derby
Make sure you cool it for at least 2 hours before serving to prevent it from breaking up. It's an easy recipe to follow and only takes about 30 minutes actual prep time. The hard part is waiting for it to cool! But, remember, patience is a virtue.
- pastry for a 9", 2 crust pie
- 6 c
- sliced fresh peaches, sliced (about 8 peaches)
- 1 tsp
- lemon juice
- 1 1/4 c
- 1/3 c
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- 3 Tbsp
How to Make Fresh Peach Pie
- 1How to peel peaches: Make sure they are fresh and ripe!
1. Cut an X on the bottom of each peach. Immerse in a large pot of boiling water for 30-40 seconds.
2. Remove with a slotted spoon. Immediately place in bowl of ice water to cool the peaches and stop the cooking process.
3. Use a paring knife to peel the skin, which should easily peel off by just pulling on it. If stubborn areas of skin won't peel off, just return fruit to the boiling water for a few more seconds and repeat the process. (I had one stubborn one, who went back in.)
4. Cut peaches in half by cutting around the pit, and twisting the halves in opposite directions. Use a sharp paring knife to remove pit. Now, slice fairly thin.
- 2Preheat the oven to 450'F. Line the bottom and sides of a 9 inch pie plate with one of the pie crusts.
- 3Place the sliced peaches in a large bowl, and sprinkle with lemon juice; mix gently.
- 4In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Pour over the peaches, and mix gently. Pour into the pie crust, and dot with butter. Cover with the other pie crust, and fold the edges under. Flute the edges to seal. Lightly brush the top with a little heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar. Cut slits to allow steam to escape.
- 5Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven, then reduce the heat to 350'F. and bake for an additional 40 to 45 minutes, until the crust is brown and the juice begins to bubble through the vents. (I always place my fruit pies on a sheet pan to catch any drips and save a big mess in my oven.)
- 6If the edges brown to fast, cover them with strips of aluminum foil about halfway through baking. Cool before serving.