FRESH APPLE PIE FILLING
My grand kids expect this as part of their Christmas present every year, along with a couple of QRTs of canned peaches.
- 4 1/2 c
- 3 tsp
- ground cinnamon (i use a little bit more for my taste)
- 1 tsp
- 3/4 c
- corn starch
- 1/2 tsp
- 10 c
- 1/4 c
- fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp
- fruit fresh
- cleaned quart canning jars, lids and screw tops
How to Make FRESH APPLE PIE FILLING
- 1Combine all ingredients in a kettle to accomodate the amount of water. You will need to know how to process this recipe in a hot water bath.
- 2Cook on medium until thickened. To a consistency of gravy. (Like pudding before it sets) Add your lemon juice and fruit fresh ingredients. Stir until all combined. I combine the two before adding to the filling mixture. By tasting the room temp filling you will be able to add more spices to suite your taste. For my family we cant get enough cinnamon. If not sweet enough add a little more sugar. I have not tried this recipe with artificial sweetner. I guess if i were to try any it would be part Splenda or would even try some organic raw Agave sweetner.For someone that is trying this the first time, I would stick with regular sugar. I also highly recommend using a high quality of cinnamon. My favorite is SAIGON CINNAMON Brand Gourmet collection. Much richer. You get what you pay for.
- 3Peel and slice your apples. Harlsons are the BEST. but I know in FL. They do not have that variety Granny Smiths are your next option. I would have approx 3-4 pounds available. Have approx 6-8 quart jars cleaned.along with new lids and screw tops. Fill jars 1.5 inches from the top. Add the prepared filling. Tap bottom of jar on a soft surface to make sure air pockets are removed. Not necessary, but I am fussy when it comes to canning.
Screw lid and top on tight.
- 4Process these jars in a hot water bath for 20-25 min. Set the jars out and listen for the seal.This will keep for at least 6 months if not longer. Store in a cool environment. When it comes time to make your pie. You can be real lazy and roll out a doubl crust. like the refridgerated pillsbury brand.
You dont have to bake for an hour. I typically par bake my bottom crust add the filling and bake for another 30 35 min,until the filling starts to bubble. This may sound like a lot of work, but once you make it one time. You will appreciate it. You can make this in a cobbler, or any other recipe asking for fresh apples. turnovers are great. Use your imagination. GOOD LUCK.