French Silk Chocolate Pie
(Photo by kzbhansen)
- graham cracker crust for an 8" pie, homemade or purchased
- 1 stick
- butter, softened
- 3/4 cup
- 2 oz.
- unsweetened baking chocolate squares, melted and cooled
- 1 tsp.
- large eggs
- sweetened whipped cream, cool whip or redi-whip
- grated chocolate or chocolate curls
- maraschino cherries, optional
How to Make French Silk Chocolate Pie
- 1In microwave, melt chocolate in small bowl, set aside to cool. (Stir occaisionally.) In mixer bowl, cream butter, gradually add sugar, cream well.
Mix in melted, cooled chocolate and vanilla. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating 5 minutes each, and scraping sides and bottom of bowl often to incorporate all grains of sugar. Spoon and smooth into pie crust. Chill until set, about 1 hour. Serve topped with sweetened whipped cream, chocolate shavings and a maraschino cherry. *Double this recipe for a 9-inch deep dish pie.
Variations: add, in addition to vanilla, 1 teaspoon peppermint extract, tint Cool Whip pink for Valentines day, green for St Patty’s day.
Top with crushed peppermint sticks/candy canes just before serving for Christmas.
Add, in addition to vanilla, a 1/2 tsp. almond extract. Can sprinkle with chocolate shavings, finely chopped or sliced almonds, and/or crushed toffee bits. Whipped cream can be tinted a very pale yellow for a buttery look.