French Crumb Apple Pie
PIE BOTTOM CRUST INGREDIENTS
1 call purpose flour
1 Tbspheaping crisco
PIE FILLING INGREDIENTS
6 cgranny smith apples sliced
1/4 call purpose flour
CRUMB TOPPING INGREDIENTS
1 stickbutter hard
1/2 cbrown sugar
How to Make French Crumb Apple Pie
- Bottom pie crust directions. I am going to make this as complete as I can for everyone that has never made their own pie crust.
- Take flour and crisco and put it in a medium bowl.
- Use a fork or a pastry cutter to incorporate the crisco into the flour. Until it looks like little balls.
- Take a tablespoon of cold water and add it to the mixture. Gently working it in.
- Continue to add water a tablespoon at a time until you form a ball of dough. It should still be a tiny bit dry. You don't want it soaked.
- Wrap it in wax paper and put it in the fridge for about an hour.
- Filling Directions
- Take all the filling ingredients and put them in a bowl and mix. Let them sit for about 15 minutes till the apples and ingredients get nice and juicy.
- At this point you want to preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Roll out your bottom crust and place in a 9 inch pie pan.Just a little note if you have a marble rolling pin put it in the freezer for about a half hour before you roll out the dough. It makes it much easier to roll.
- Put the apple mixture into crust and get ready to make your topping.
- Topping directions
- Take flour and brown sugar and incorporate them together using a wire whisk.
- Take your stick of cold butter and slice it into the mixture.
- With a fork or pastry cutter cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles little balls.
- Flute the edges of your pie crust BEFORE you put the crumb topping on.
- Spread crumb topping over the apples until it is completely covered.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 50 minutes... Cover the pie with foil the last 15 minutes of baking so your crumbs don't burn.
- The pies juices should be bubbling up through the crust. That's how you know it's done. Enjoy!