French Apple Pie, Mom's Recipe
I have her handwritten version in my recipe box and it is a treasure to me.
- 3/4 c
- 1 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- 3 Tbsp
- 3 c
- sliced peeled baking apples
- 1 Tbsp
- plus 1 teaspoon cold butter
- 1 c
- 1/2 c
- brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 c
- cold butter
- unbaked 8 or 9 inch pie shell
How to Make French Apple Pie, Mom's Recipe
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
PIE FILLING: Stir together sugar, spices, and cornstarch. Mix with apples in a medium bowl and set aside while making topping. Measure 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cold butter and set aside in a separate small dish.
- 2TOPPING: Stir together flour and brown sugar. Using a fork cut cold butter into dry mixture to make crumbs.
- 3Pour apples into pie crust. Dot with small pieces of cold butter. Spoon topping over all.
Bake for 50-60 minutes.
Note: You can cover edges of crust with strips of aluminum foil to prevent over-browning.