Foolproof Pie Dough
How to Make Foolproof Pie Dough
- Grate frozen butter over the bowl of a food processor. To this, add flour and sea salt.Pulse for 2 to 3 minutes or until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Transfer flour mixture to a mixing bowl (preferably stainless steel). Add 1 to 2 tsp. ice water to the mixture and using a fork, stir gently. Repeat, stirring after each addition, until the mixture holds together. To test, grab a small amount in your hand and firmly squeeze it – if it holds together, it’s ready otherwise continue adding water.
- Gather the dough and form a disk. Wrap disk in plastic wrap and transfer to the refrigerator for at least 2 to 4 hours before rolling out.
- When ready to roll, lightly dust work surface with flour as well as dough and rolling pin. Roll it down to about 10 ½-inch diameter so it fits in a 9-inch pie plate.
- Note: Place your water in the freezer until the formation of small ice crystals on the surface.