Foolproof Double-Crust Pie Dough-Connie
- 2 1/2 c
- all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 tsp
- 12 Tbsp
- unsalted butter cut into 1/4 inch cubes and chilled (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1/2 c
- vegetable shortening, cut into 4 pieces and chilled
- 1/4 c
- vodka, chilled
- 1/4 c
- ice water
How to Make Foolproof Double-Crust Pie Dough-Connie
- 1Process 1 and 1/2 cups of flour, sugar,m and salt together in a food processor until combined.
- 2Scatter butter and shortening over the top of flour mixture and continue to process until incorporated and the mixture begins to form uneven clumps with no remaining floury bits, about 15 seconds.,
- 3Scrape down the workbowl and redistribute the dough evenly around the processor blade.
- 4Sprinkle remaining 1 cup flour over the dough and pulse until the mixture has broken up into pieces and is evenly distributed distributed around the bowl, 4-6 pulses.
- 5Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl.
- 6Sprinkle the vodka and water over the mixture.
- 7Stir and press the dough together, using a stiff rubber spatula, until the dough sticks together.
- 8Divide dough into 2 even pieces.
- 9Turn each piece of dough onto a sheet of plastic wrap and flatten each into a 4 inch disc. Wrap each piece tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 10Before rolling the dough out, let it sit on the counter to soften slightly, about 10 minutes.
- 11To Make Ahead: The dough, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, can be refrigerated for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 1 month. If frozen, let the dough thaw completely on the counter before rolling out.
- 12The alcohol vaporizes in the oven:)