I love this recipe because it is so simple and you don't have to use a pie plate...It is fantastic, fun and fast to make...You could call this an on the go recipe...I got the recipe from my A Pioneer Woman Cooks....
1Preheat oven to 375-degrees.
In a large bowl, stir together the apples, flour, lemon juice, granulated sugar, brown sugar and salt. Set aside.
2PIE CRUST DIRECTIONS
1. Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl.
2. Add in the shortening. Using a pastry cutter, gradually work the shortening into the flour until the mixture resembles tiny pebbles. This should take 3-4 minutes.
3. Lightly beat the egg with a fork, then add it to the mixture. Next, add the cold water and vinegar.
4. Stir the mixture together until it's just combined, then remove half the dough from the bowl.
5. Place in a large plastic bag (do not seal) and slightly flatten with a rolling pin. After flattening, seal the bag tightly. Freeze. (Repeat to freeze second half.)
6. When you're ready to use a crust, remove one from the freezer and allow it to sit on the counter to thaw slightly, about 20 minutes. Remove from the bag and place on a lightly floured surface.
7. With a rolling pin, begin rolling the dough from the center, outward. Be gentle and patient; it'll take a little time to get the dough completely rolled out.
8. If you think the bottom is really sticking to the surface below, use a nice, sharp spatula to loosen it and sprinkle some extra flour on top.
9. Flip it over to finish rolling. Remember to roll from the center in single, outward strokes; no back-and-forth rolling.
Place the circles on large baking sheets.
3Place half the apple mixture on one crust and other half on the other crust.
Fold over the edge of each crust so that it covers 2-3 inches of the apple mixture. No need to be artistic - the more rustic the better.
Dot the tops of the pies with chunks of butter.
4Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the filling is golden and bubbly. If the crust appears to brown too quickly, cover the edges with aluminum foil for the remaining baking time.
All to cool slightly, then slice into wedges with a pizza cutter. MAKES 2 PIES