Farmhouse Strawberry Pie
Angela (Grammy) Derby
How to Make Farmhouse Strawberry Pie
- 1Prebake pie crust according to directions on package or prepare your own homemade crust. (If you'd like to use my Mom's Flakey Pastry, scroll down.) Cool to room temperature. Prick the inside of the pie crust all over with a fork and bake at 400F degrees for about 10-15 minutes, then allow to cool completely.
- 2Wash and hull strawberries. Then cut them in half (or maybe smaller depending on how big your berries are).
- 3In a sauce pan, over medium-high heat, add water, sugar, cornstarch, & strawberry gelatin. Whisk together until thoroughly combined. Whisk mixture constantly while heating to prevent clumping or scorching until mixture begins to come to a gentle boil. Remove pan from the heat and allow the glaze to cool. (I put the pan into a bowl with a couple of inches of ice water. This cools the glaze quicker and allows it to set up a bit.)
- 4As the glaze cools it will become translucent in color and you should notice it will thicken a little more as well. Whisk it occasionally as it cools. It will be thickened but still pourable.
- 5Add your sliced berries to the baked and cooled pie crust. Pour strawberry glaze over berries. Making sure to get it in between the nooks & crannies of the berries as best you can.
- 6Chill pie in the refrigerator at least 2-3 hours before serving.
When ready to serve, dollop each slice with some whipped cream.