Easy Coconut Cream Pie
- 1 c
- granulated sugar
- 1/3 c
- 1/4 tsp
- egg yolks, reserve whites
- 3 c
- evaporated milk, reconstituted
- 1 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp
- 1-1/2 c
- flaked coconut
- 1/2 c
- cold water
- 1/3 c
- 1 Tbsp
- 1/8 tsp
- egg whites
- 1/2 tsp
- cream of tartar
- baked pie shell
How to Make Easy Coconut Cream Pie
- 1Make and bake your favorite pie shell. Set aside.
- 2For Filling: With a wire whisk, mix sugar, cornstarch and salt together in a large microwavable bowl.
- 3Combine reconstituted milk and egg yolks in a separate bowl. whisk togher until well mixed and add to the dry ingredients. Stir with wire whisk until well blended.
Microwave on high 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 minutes, depending on your microwave. Stir with wire whisk and return to microwave. Cook 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 more minutes. Remove from microwave and stir with wire whisk.
- 4Add butter and vanilla. Mix well. Stir in coconut. Pour into baked pie shell. Top with meringue and sprinkle with coconut. Bake 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees or until meringue and coconut are a nice golden brown.
- 5For Meringue: Place egg whites saved from filling in a large mixer bowl with the cream of tartar. Measure 1/2 cup cold water into a two-cup measuring glass measuring cup. In a separate bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Mix well with wire whisk.
- 6Add sugar mixture to water. Stir well. Microwave on high 2 minutes or until mixture is translucent.
- 7Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until frothy. Continue beating as you slowly pour transluent mixture into egg whites. Beat 3-4 minutes or until glossy and stiff peaks form.
- 8Pile on top of filling making sure to seal edges. Sprinkle with coconut. Bake 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees or until top is golden brown.