Easy as Pie
Jo Ann McFarlane
How to Make Easy as Pie
- 1Measure flour and salt into large bowl mix and place in fridge to chill. Measure water and chill in freezer.
- 2When flour, salt are chilled add cold shortening using cooled fingertips or pastry mixer until it resembles coarse meal.
- 3Add chilled water, a little at a time, and mix until dough just comes together. Don't overmix. Divide dough into two discs. (If using lattice style type on top form two discs, one twice as large as the other.)
- 4Wrap in plastic and chill for at least 30 minutes.
At this point preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 5Dust work surface with 1 Tbsp flour and roll out larger disc into a circle 1/8" thick and slightly larger than 9" pie plate.
- 6Transfer dough by wrapping it loosely around rolling pin and place in 9" pie plate with edges overhanging dish.
- 7Seal any pieces that may have ripped with a little water and fingers and prick crust with fork.
- 8Add pie filling of choice.
- 9Repeat with second piece of dough. Create lattice top and crimp edges. Or if using full crust repeat step 5 and place on top of pie.
- 10Brush with beaten egg and bake on a tray on rack in the middle of the oven for 45-60 minutes depending on filling and until crust is brown.
If using 2 full crust don't forget to make an X in the center to allow steam to escape.
You may also sprinkle coarse sugar on top if desired.
- 11Allow to cool before serving.