Double Coconut Cream Pie
Comfort food at it's best!
This recipe is a favorite of mine. I hope you like it too!
I have many different versions of coconut cream pie, BUT this is the most requested!
If you like banana cream pie, substitute sliced banana's over the cooled chocolate
and continue with the recipe, skipping the coconut altogether or not, it's up to you, BUT it is GOOOOOD!
- 5 c
- sweetened flaked coconut plus more for toasting
- 7 Tbsp
- unsalted butter
- 1/2 c
- chocolate chips
- 2 large
- 1/2 c
- 1/4 c
- all purpose flour
- 2 c
- whole milk
- 1/2 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 3/4 c
- heavy cream
How to Make Double Coconut Cream Pie
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9 inch pie pan with cooking spray.
I like to use a clear pyrex dish so that I can keep an eye on the coconut crust so that it doesn't burn.
Place 3 cups coconut in a bowl. Melt 5 tbsp. butter and stir into the coconut until moistened. Press into bottom and up the sides of pie plate. Bake until deep golden brown. About 25-30 minutes.
Check often, if edges are browning quicker than the bottom cover edges with strips of foil or a crust protecter.
- 3When crust is done, remove from oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips over the crust and let stand 5 minutes, or until shiny. Gently spread chocolate over bottom of crust. Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes.
Whisk eggs,sugar,flour and vanilla until smooth.
- 5Warm milk in a heavy bottom saucepan until almost simmering over medium heat.
- 6Whisking constantly, slowly pour hot milk into egg mixture. Return milk mixture to pan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to boil and thickens enough to coat back of a spoon, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 7Stir in remaining 2 cups of coconut and 2 tbsp. butter, let stand 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour custard into cooled crust. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing against surface of custard, and chill completely, about 2 hours.
30 minutes before serving, Beat cream until stiff peaks form. Spread over custard and chill. Garnish with toasted coconut before serving.