Danish Apple Bars
Danish Apple Bars were always a favorite of mine and she taught me how to make them. After a few tries I was able to make them just the way she did.
They are everything that you'd expect in an apple pie, but instead in a bar.
2 1/2 call purpose flour
1 ccrisco or lard
1 ccrushed corn flakes
8medium sized apples; i like red cortlands and macintosh
1 cpowdered sugar
1/2 tspreal vanilla or real almond extract
1 Tbspboiling water
How to Make Danish Apple Bars
- In a large bowl add flour, salt and crisco/lard. Mix together like pie crust. Beat 1 egg yolk; add milk to make 2/3 cup. Mix all together gently.
- Divide; use 2/3 for bottom crust. Roll and place in 10" X 15" pan. You can piece together.
- Sprinkle cornflakes over pastry. Layer with apples. Mix cinnamon, sugar and 1 teaspoon flour together. Sprinkle over apples.
- Using remaining 1/3 pastry dough roll it out. Place over apples and piece together the best you can. Beat egg white until frothy. Using a pastry brush, brush on pastry gently.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 1 hour. When you remove from oven, blend together the powdered sugar, vanilla and boiling water. Drizzle over cake.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream. Yummy!